What is with my sudden interest in personality disorders? This is because I was unaware of such disorders and the traits that largely define them. Before stumbling on the American Psychiatric Association and WHO's web-pages on personality disorders I was only aware of two disorders: Paranoid Personality and Anti-Social disorder while believing the bulk of disorders were variations of those two. In fact, there are in fact 10-disorders as defined by the WHO and APA that are quite interesting.
Diagnostic criteria for 301.83 Borderline Personality Disorder
A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
(1) frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.
(2) a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation
(3) identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self
(4) impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, Substance Abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.
(5) recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior
(6) affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
(7) chronic feelings of emptiness
(8) inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
(9) transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms
These people should not be taken lightly and need serious help. I don't understand why Emo kids are obsessed with imitating these people and pretend to have problems. It gives a bad name to these real suffers and trivialises their plight.